I recently purchased a Redmi Note 3 (SnapDragon/Qualcomm) in China and wanted to Flash from a Chinese Rom to Global Rom. I quickly learnt that because of the Locked Bootloader you can not simply Flash from a Chinese Rom to a Global Rom.
Being a Mac OSX only user it took me alot of reasearch and trail and error to get the Redmi Flashed via Windows 7 on Virtualbox. I also did not want to unlock the Bootloader, but I did finally get it working.
Here is a guide on How to Flash your Redmi Note 3 (SnapDragon Qualcomm Edition) from a Chinese Rom to a Global Rom WITHOUT unlocking the Bootloader:
Step 1 – Download and install Virtualbox + Windows 7 32 Bit:
Virtualbox Windows 7 Image: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/#downloads
Step 2 – Setup Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack on Virtualbox
- STOP the Virtualbox Image – as in SHUT IT DOWN
- Download virtual extension pack for your virtualbox version.
- Install it using virtualbox main window preferences. (Not in an individual virtual machine window. i.e open virtualbox main window > File > Preferences > Extensions)
- Add the downloaded extension.
- Go to your virtual machine settings > USB > enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller.
- Restart the virtual machine.
Step 3 – Turn on USB Debugging on your Redmi Note 3
- Follow this Link: http://dieskim.me/2015/04/19/how-to-xiaomi-miui-v6-enable-developer-options-and-turn-on-and-usb-debugging/
Step 4 – Connect to your Mac or Linux Machine and put Hongmi / Redmi Note 3 into Download Mode / edl mode
If you dont already have ADB installed on your Mac / Linux follow this guide:
Type these Commands
And then if you see that your device is detected run:
adb reboot edl
You Phone will now enter Download Mode – It will have a black Screen and the Red Led will be flashing.
Step 5: Mount the Redmi Note 3 in Download Mode / Edl Mode with the Windows Virtualbox
- Add the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 as a USB Device Filter for the VirtualBox Image
- Open VirtualBox
- Select the Virtual Machine – Windows 7
- Click on SETTINGS
- Navigate to Ports
- Select USB
- Click on the little USB + button
- Add Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008
ALSO CONFIRM THAT YOU HAVE USB 2.0 (ECHI) Controller Enabled
Step 6: Install Xiaomi Mi Flash
- 32-Bit Windows – Use the Beta Version of MI Flash From here – http://en.miui.com/thread-281979-1-1.html
- 64-Bit Windows – http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=NjM5NDE0fDg0MDMxMTFkfDE0NjIwMjQyNzN8MTQzMzA4OTg3fDI3MjM3Ng%3D%3D
- You might also need to download and TRY to install the 64-Bit version to get the drivers (I am not sure) – to be safe just download both and TRY to install – the 64-Bit Version will fail but might install the drivers
Step 7 – Getting the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 Drivers installed
- Plug out the Redmi Note 3
- Turn the phone back on to Normal mode by – HOLDING DOWN the Power Button until it turns on
- Plug the Redmi Note 3 back in
- The Redmi Note 3 will mount on the Host Side / MAC OSX Side
- Use ADB as in Step 4 Redmi Note 3 back into Download Mode / EDL Mode
- The Redmi Note 3 will now mount on the Windows Side
On the Windows Virtualbox:
- Open Device Manager and Phone will be detected as QHUSB_BULK.
- Choose Browse My Computer for Driver Software
- Select the Driver in the Xiaomi Folder. Most users will find it in:
- Choose Install this Driver Software anyway.
- Wait until driver installation is successful.
- You should now see that the Driver has been installed Successfully and you can see added in Ports as Qualcomm HS-USB
Step 7: Download and Unzip the Fastboot Rom for the Redmi Note 3
- Make sure you are still on the Windows 7 Virtual Machine
- The ROM Link will start with “Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm”
- Download Link: http://en.miui.com/a-234.html
- Unzip the Rom using 7Zip or something simular
Step 8: Flash your Redmi Note 3 with the Global Fastboot Rom Using MiFlash
- Still on the Windows 7 Virtual Machine
- Open MiFlash
- Click on Browse and Select the ROM Folder you extracted in Step 7
- Click REFRESH – You should now see your Redmi Note 3 showing up on the list of devices
- Select FLASH ALL / CLEAN ALL
- Click FLASH
- WAIT for Flashing to Complete – this takes a LONG TIME – watch the progress
- Remove the cable from your Redmi Note 3
- Keep Power Button pressed until it Vibrates
- The Device will start and start setting up it can take up to 10 Minutes.
Now you will have a Xiaomi Hongmi / Redmi Note 3 (SnapDragon/Qualcomm), Flashed from a Chinese Rom to Global Rom without UnLocking the Bootloader
2 thoughts on “How To: Xiaomi Hongmi / Redmi Note 3 (SnapDragon/Qualcomm) – Flash Chinese Rom to Global Rom – Locked Bootloader – Mac OSX / Linux Ubuntu / Windows via Virtualbox”
Thanks for this tutorial.
How can I unlock my RMN3PRO with virtualbox?
Thanks for this. I managed to flash my Redmi Note 3 from China Stable to Global Stable using my Macbook + Virtualbox following your guide. This is really good.